John D. Horowitz
John counsels employers on a wide range of construction and labor issues. As part of his practice, John represents companies in drafting and negotiating construction agreements, independent contractor agreements, non-compete agreements, and other commercial and employment contracts. John also counsels employers on construction claims pertaining to extra work, defective work, lien claims, surety claims, suspension of work and delay claims, and other issues that arise during the performance of construction work.
John handles the negotiation and administration of collective bargaining and project labor agreements, which includes representing companies in labor arbitrations, jurisdictional disputes, strike contingency planning, structuring double-breasted operations, and proceedings before the National Labor Relations Board.
John has been successful in representing companies at trials and hearings, and has appeared before federal and state courts, government agencies and arbitrators throughout the country to represent companies in construction, and labor and employment disputes, including representing employers in discrimination, workplace harassment, whistleblower, wage and hour and prevailing wage claims, as well as breach of contract actions and the enforcement of non-compete agreements.
A significant part of John’s practice also involves counseling employers on day-to-day management issues, such as equal employment opportunity compliance; discipline and discharge; employee disabilities and leaves of absence under the Family and Medical Leave Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act and state laws; drafting employment, non-compete, consultant, independent contractor and separation agreements; and complying with the Fair Labor Standards Act and state wage and hour laws.
- Fordham University School of Law, New York, NY
- J.D. – 2000
- Cornell University, Ithaca, NY
- B.S. – 1997
- New Jersey
- New York
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 2nd Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 3rd Circuit
- Jersey City Economic Development Corp. - Trustee
- New York City Hospitality Group - Member
- "Human Resource Law From Start to Finish", Princeton, NJ, National Business Institute, November 10, 2015
- “Employment Law Update in New York”, New York, NY, Lorman Education Services, April 24, 2014
- “Employment Law Update in New Jersey”, Fairfield, NJ, Lorman Education Services, April 2, 2014
- “10 Essential Workplace Agreements for Every Employer”, New York, NY, Law Line Services, February 23, 2014
- “Operating Under a Construction Labor Agreement”, New York, NY, Law Line Services, December 19, 2013